Skip to main content

I Tend the Light - One Need Not be a Chamber


Every so often a track arrives which is so good that you simply have to sit back and wallow in the majesty of music creation. Admittedly, I am an oddball, so happiness for me often comes from hearing something wonderfully dark and dysfunctional. That's quite a build-up, but I Tend the Light has hit the rusty nail firmly on the head with the latest release, 'One Need Not be a Chamber'.

The creative outlet of Sheffield multi-instrumentalist Winslow Wake, I Tend the Light continues to blur the boundaries between doom, sludge, post-metal, blackgaze, drone and electronic experimentation. Inspired by Emily Dickinson's haunting poem and incorporating Electronic Voice Phenomenon recordings; the track explores the ghosts we carry within ourselves through prolonged tension, hypnotic repetition and frenetic, industrial-leaning brutalism.

Rather than relying on familiar genre tropes, Wake patiently builds an atmosphere that feels both oppressive and strangely beautiful before subverting expectations with a release that refuses to follow the obvious path.

Anyone who knows my own spoken word project, Life As Surface Noise, will understand the immediate attraction I had for I Tend The Light. 'One Need Not be a Chamber' is brooding and intoxicating - and with the perfectly matched visuals, re-edited from Juraj Herz's film, The Cremator, the video provides an extra layer of psychological unease. Put simply, it is just my cup of tea.

'One Need Not be a Chamber' is fearless, immersive and another compelling statement from one of the UK's most inventive underground artists. In this case, the philosophy of "pressing the button and seeing what happens" has created a sinister delight which commands repeat plays. Without any doubt, this is one of my favourite tracks of the year. 

LINK: I Tend the Light