Skip to main content

Belle Chen - Rise


When a submission comes through to me which states "for fans of Ryuichi Sakamoto" then my ears prick-up. As a lad, in the days before online shopping, I would often catch the train to London to hit the record stores in the hope of discovering another LP by Sakamoto or Yellow Magic Orchestra. They were fairly rare beasts in those days and often I would end up spending far too much on overly-priced Import copies. It was always worth it, though; being in the UK meant that Sakamoto's music felt like a secret only I knew about.

Belle Chen's 'Rise' came in with that very "for fans of..." accolade and I have listened to the piece quite intently over the last few hours. As you would expect, 'Rise' is a neo-classical instrumental piece based around a gentle piano melody with a sweeping synth and orchestral backdrop. 

Belle describes the piece as a tender musical portrait of first light: "The gentle space between dreaming and waking. The quiet feeling of watching someone slowly awaken before the sun has risen, while the world is still asleep. This new composition captures that fleeting moment through delicate melodies, warm textures, and a quiet sense of wonder. A tender musical portrait of first light, stillness, and the beauty of a day that has yet to begin."

Featuring the BBC Philharmonic conducted by Ben Palmer, the composition is a delightful illustration of how new music can bring such joy; much like life's potential at the beginning of every new day. Simply gorgeous - and all I can do is smile.

LINK: Belle Chen