Skip to main content

Pennan Brae - Scratch (Club Mix)


Any release that comes through with a robot depicted on the artwork is always going to grab my attention - and that was the case with the 'Scratch - Club Mix' by Pennan Brae. My only reservation was that it was obviously going to be a dance mix of a tune which I didn't know - and I prefer to hear the original version - remixes and whatever generally tend to simply pad out and water-down rather than enhance.

However, this time I was happily surprised - the mix had me amused from the very start, it has a real fun element to the sounds and arrangement. The mix is an upbeat, energetic blast of 80s/90s-inspired club pop, layering playful keyboards over a dancefloor-ready groove while delivering a breakup message via slightly vocoded vocals. Thankfully, it is not trying to be trendy or hip, it is its own beast. As a standalone track, 'Scratch - Club Mix' really gets under your skin.