Twenty years into their DIY indie-rock adventure, The Active Set return with “Uncomfortable”, the closing track on their just released album 'Death Of A Friend'. There’s a strong, melodic lead vocal here, riding over some smooth guitar, a nicely stabbing rhythmic pulse and keyboards that occasionally take a subtly sombre turn. Having said that, the general feel is reasonably radio-friendly and catchy.
Lyrically, it’s considerably less comfortable, with the narrator admitting, “I can’t go on like this” before confessing, “I’m a shadow of my former self” The track gradually opens-up its grip with a satisfying flurry of guitar adding weight towards the concluding lines.
For a band that have ridden the highs and lows of artistry for 20 years, there's a lot of self-reflection and they’re laying out their honesty before you. It feels like a weary, but triumphant band putting their all into the ending of this chapter.
Lyrically, it’s considerably less comfortable, with the narrator admitting, “I can’t go on like this” before confessing, “I’m a shadow of my former self” The track gradually opens-up its grip with a satisfying flurry of guitar adding weight towards the concluding lines.
For a band that have ridden the highs and lows of artistry for 20 years, there's a lot of self-reflection and they’re laying out their honesty before you. It feels like a weary, but triumphant band putting their all into the ending of this chapter.
